Authorization for the use of cookies

Carloforte Net

The portal on Carloforte and the island of San Pietro in Sardinia

The historic centre

Create: 04/27/2016 - 21:37
Glimpse of the historic center of Carloforte

The historic centre of Carloforte

Corso Tagliafico in the Old TownThe only town on the island is Carloforte, founded in 1738, during the reign of Carlo Emanuele III, by a colony of Ligurian fishermen from Tabarka, an island in Tunisia, Ligurian colony owned by the Lomellini, at the times lords of Pegli, that in order to take advantage of the rich coral reefs had populated it with fishermen almost exclusively from Pegli.
In the first period of colonization the village was collected within the circle of the ramparts; the only brick buildings were the Castle, The Church and the home of the Duke.
Even today the Ligurian origin of its inhabitants can be seen in urbanism in the country, as can be seen by visiting its old town, starting with the Boatmen waterfront where in addition to the monument dedicated to Carlo Emanuele III, we can admire the old buildings of the eighteenth and nineteenth century who were born during the period when Carloforte expanded beyond the walls.

About Author

Pietro Cappai

Realizzo siti web ed insegno nella scuola superiore di secondo grado. Amo il mare, gli sport velici e la musica. Vivo a Carloforte sull'Isola di San Pietro in Sardegna. Potete visitare il mio sito personale a http://www.pietrocappai.info.

See also

Cala Vinagra is part of the OASI LIPU Carloforte
10/12/2016 - 10:09
The coast of the Island of San Pietro
10/12/2016 - 10:00
The Caletta beach
06/07/2016 - 00:45
Pink flamingos in the salt fields of Carloforte
04/27/2016 - 21:51
Glimpse of the historic center of Carloforte
04/27/2016 - 21:37